This online shop is using cookies to give you the best shopping expierience. Thereby for example the session information or language setting are stored on your computer. Without cookies the range of the online shop's functionality is limited.
If you do not agree, please click here.
0 Items in cart:
The shopping cart is empty.
New here at Prophecy?
Sign up now and enjoy the full shopping experience!
Founded in 2001, German black metal instigators Helrunar have gone from strength to strength, establishing themselves as a band approaching Nordic themes with brains. Records such as "Frostnacht" and "Baldr Ok Íss" are regarded as seminal works for the country's scene before the group shook off genre conventions altogether in favour of a holistic approach to extreme music and its topics. This is manifest in 2011's double album "Sól".
While their sixth full-length "Niederkunfft" (2015) marked the beginning of a new era with recourse to archaic death and doom metal pondering late medieval superstition in the face of the Enlightenment, successor "Vanitas Vanitatvm" shows yet another tack, albeit within a similar stylistic framework. Musically, front man M.D., who forms one half of the group besides drummer S.K., places "Vanitas Vanitatvm" between its predecessor and the "Sól" era. "The songs are more compact and mature, also mostly faster, and again, more black metal. Apart from that, there have been influences you might call nostalgic."
With its title referring to a famous ode by 17th century poet Andreas Gryphius, Helrunar's seventh puts the well-known saying (meaning "vanity of vanities" or "all is vain") into a contemporary context, resulting in "our most cynical and misanthropic work to date in a consciously exaggerated way," says M.D. "We address different forms of vanity and narcissism, which are rampant in our age, to reveal their psychological and societal origins and consequences. Both traits are contrasted by death and corruption to show their inanity."
The lyrics, once again mainly sung in German and harking back to the Baroque period, draw inspiration from 4.000 years of human culture. This encompasses sagas like Homer's "Odyssey, the Bible amongst different forms of literature, cinema or actual historical events such as the Plague. By exploring the lore of regions like the Mediterranean, quoting from the picaresque novel "Simplicius Simplicissimus" or depicting the mythical "nachzehrer" as a modern stalker, the duo reveal vanity for what it really is – vain.
- 2xCD boxset, limited to 1.500 copies and containing the digipak as well as an additional foldout booklet, patch and poster flag as well as a bonus CD with three exclusive studio tracks. Two of which are an interpretation of Einstürzende Neubauten's 'Prolog' and 'The Last Antichrist'; a special tribute to Norwegian black metal from the 1990s.
01. Es ist ein sterbend Liecht
05. Da brachen aus böse Blattern, am Menschen und am Vieh
06. Vanitas Vanitatvm
07. In Eis und Nacht
09. Als die Welt zur Nacht sich wandt
11. Der Tag an dem das Meer seine Toten freigibt
Bonus disc "...Et Omnia Vanitas":
02. Auff einmal dunckel war die Kammer
03. The last Antichrist
Consistency, Quality and Community – Prophecy Productions has been unleashing dark and transcendental music to the world since 1996.
Prophecy is part of SPKR.
Multifaceted, independent media group specializing in the discovery, manufacturing, distribution and presentation of high quality music and art.
Shipping, Charges, Free goodies
• Germany 4,99 €
• Abroad individual shipping costs depending on weight and countryFree goodies:
• You will receive the label compilation CD if you order for € 25,01 and more (concert tickets not included)
All these goodies are only available while stocks last.
• Via PayPal
• Via credit card (Visa, MasterCard) - Only for regular customers
• Via sofortbanking.de
• Via direct debit (Germany-based and regular customers only)