The long-awaited debut album§§§Darkher is an intriguing, haunting trip through the mind and spirit of UK artist Jayn H. Wissenberg, a charismatic West Yorkshire-based vocalist / songwriter whose powerful, captivating music is characterized by doom-laden riffs, haunting, spine-tingling vocals, soul baring songs, layered with storm clouds of lead & bowed guitars by collaborator (and Husband) - Guitarist and Bassist Martin T Wissenberg, and joined in 2017 by original My Dying Bride Drummer Rick Miah. Creating extraordinarily dark music full of contrasts, including both chilling loneliness and the warmth of hope, the sound of Darkher is veined by both an unsettling atmosphere of encroaching dread and a deep, otherworldly confidence.
Darkher's first release, 'The Kingdom Field' EP (2014), epitomized her broodingly intense music and created a stir across scenes, being hailed as "beautiful, teeth-edging horror" and "utterly brilliant". Her debut album, 'Realms', impressively proves that the fire of great expectations raised by the debut's spark were more than justified. The album features nine distinctive, dynamic and dramatic tracks that are impossible to resist. Songs such as the sternly imploring "Moths", the driving "Wars", with its signature drum march, or the sinister, unfathomable 'Buried' or 'Foregone' may be mentioned as cornerstones of an album that, due to its quality and diversity, bears the potential earmarks of a future classic.
Lyrically, 'Realms' mirrors the ominous, awe-inspiring character of the music; the tales on the album lie somewhere between this sphere and the unseen worlds before and beyond. Darkher songs reveal Wissenberg's relationship with fear, death and spirituality and question how love can connect souls from past, present and future.
"At times, I witnessed happenings," Wissenberg points out with respect to the title. "Amidst the immense sadness brought upon by grief, these signs were both uplifting and magical, and this compounded my belief in other 'Realms'"
If you have listened to and explored 'Realms', you can begin to sense what Jayn is talking about. 'Realms' draws you in so well that you won't realize its creators have been broadcasting exactly where they're taking you…
Release date: 19.08.2016
- CD Digipak
- Gatefold LP (180g vinyl, black) incl. poster, printed inner sleeve and PVC protection sleeve (500 copies available)
- Gatefold LP "Ghost Edition" (180g vinyl, clear) incl. poster, printed inner sleeve and PVC protection sleeve (300 copies available)
- Gatefold LP "Black Vapour Edition" (180g vinyl, clear/black marble) inkl. poster, printed inner sleeve and PVC protection (200 copies available; exclusively available at the Prophecy online shop)
- 2CD hardcover book (48 pages, 18x18 cm) incl. hot foil embossing and bonus CD with 5 bonus tracks (700 copies available)
1. Spirit Waker
2. Hollow Veil
5. The Dawn Brings A Saviour
6. Buried Pt. I
7. Buried Pt. II
Bonus CD (only in 2CD book):
2. Ghost Tears
3. The Dawn Brings A Saviour
4. Hollow Veil
5. The Wreckage (demo version)
(Tracks 1-4 recorded in the Cabin at The Kingdom Field)